Monday, November 11, 2013

day 90~rework the good, the bad, and the ugly

Ok. So I got to thinking after my last post about the Trinity School projects. While I started those paintings intentionally creating little pieces that the kids would paint and I would use as collage, doesn't it stand to reason that you can do the same with old pieces that are just hanging around the studio? Lord knows I've got plenty of experiments and bad paintings around here that I can deconstruct and reuse. Isn't this the true spirit of collage? Romare Bearden did this all of the time.

Then I found this in my notes from over the summer:

revisiting favorite places

guide book: How can you repurpose your older pieces of artwork? Consider cutting, tearing, disassembling.
“home”work~ Take apart pieces of art you’ve made previously and reassemble into new and interesting works. Tear/cut and weave/sew/glue/screw the pieces together to create a totally new design. Tip: work from the back of the work when tearing and cutting to allow for less control. Conversely, cut the work apart in a thoughtful manner and use those pieces in a totally new way.

It's interesting to me how the creative process morphs itself over time. 

I'm working on a special painting for a special someone today. We'll call it an early Christmas present. Off to paint! 
Happy Monday!
~staci

a small watercolor with headdress made from an older painting



No comments:

Post a Comment