Friday, October 25, 2013

Trinity School Atlanta

Quick post today. I'm so far behind in the studio. I could stand to be a better boss. 

Anyway...

I thought you might like to see my latest collaboration...with 8 year olds! Yup. I remember third grade being my fav when I was teaching in the schools. 
I had two groups of kiddos to work with, 40 each. I started by drawing flowers, birds, and leaves onto heavy water color rag. (Flowers and birds? Shocking!) I tore out the shapes and mailed them off to Atlanta. 

I've been working with the sweetest parent volunteer from Trinity and I sent her instructions for working with our mini-Picassos. I made up a list of 4 color pallets so that when the kids were painting their color mixing would be fool proof. Each child was instructed to paint one piece. 

A few weeks later they sent back all of the goodness. Oh My!! It was like Christmas opening up that box. I really loved seeing how the kids used the paints to personalize the drawings. 

After drawing out the idea on canvas I started experimenting with collage. I find Liquitex Heavy Gel Medium Matte is the best product for these heavy papers, especially when I want to paint over it later. And since I like really heavy water color paper, a strong glue is essential. 
Then I just started my usual painting routine. 
Can't you just feel the kid happiness evolving?
And there you have it! 30"x40" I haven't named it yet. Pretty darned cute if I do say so myself. I'm working on another painting right now using the pieces from the other two classes. This one is a little girl. I'm making a time lapse video of this piece. But Mercury is retrograde and I've never done this sort of thing so anything can happen. 

It's Friday. Make someone smile today. 

Hugs
Staci


No comments:

Post a Comment