Thursday, August 15, 2013

dancing along the red road~day 2


Good Morning sweet creatives!
Sitting here in my jammies with my slippers up on the coffee table while I write.  It's gloomy grey and rainy outside and my Yerba tea with lemon and honey is piping hot. I'm actually thinking about lighting a fire since it's like the Arctic out there. I mean it's 64 degrees or something! Brrr :~)
Anyway...what better way to start my journey? Cuddled up on the couch with my cyber-pen mapping out my journey into creativity. I'm calling today's entry:

What's in my suitcase? 
An assessment of my baggage, if you will. Artistic baggage. But let's not think of this "baggage" as a bad thing. More like looking inside my closet before packing to leave and taking stock of what's there. 

1.a strong desire to make art with personal meaning. I want to make art that is personal to me. It's all well and good to look to others for inspiration, but if there isn't any personal connection to the imagery being made then it's merely pretty pictures on the canvas and decoration. 
2. stronger desire to make "art for art's sake". Often I fall into the trap of making art that I think will sell and I forget to just make what's in my heart. Time to play and return to the very essence of "play".
3. iconic house images. Right now I'm fixated on these folksy houses and barns. Aside from my ridiculous need to "nest", I grew up in the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania. Red barns, stone barns and houses, rolling countryside and fields. You get the idea.
4. use of Slavic textile designs. My grandparents and ancestors were of Slavic decent. I grew up writing on easter eggs (pysanky) with my grandmother and mother. When I was 11 I got to wear a traditional Hungarian costume while appearing on a tv special about writing on pysanky. This left a lasting impression on me.
5. I'm fascinated with the image of women with antlers. Strong women. I could write a book about that symbolism but for now I won't bore you with all of that!

Think of the next section as your guidebook
Where are you in your own artwork? What is the main theme? Write down what is working. Focus on the positives! Forget the crappy parts. This is all about what makes you happy. What are your influences? Where does your imagery originate? Are you relying on other people's designs or do you create your own?

"home"work: Investigate your personal story. Where did your ancestors call home? Recall family stories. Fill the pages of your sketch book with design details from your family home, your grandmother's china, a favorite flower that grows naturally in your part of the world, your uncle's argyle sweater etc. Let your mind wander. Remember to smile and feel the presence of people you love while you are working. 

I'll be back in a few days with pictures of my current/past work. Can't wait to hear from you!

dancing and smiling,
staci



No comments:

Post a Comment