Tuesday, August 6, 2013

urban renewal

Seeing as how I'm selling my sweet cottage in Old Towne, I think it's time to reshare some of the home makeovers I did a while back. All of these houses exist in one reality or another and my only contribution to their renewal was all in my head and on the canvas. (The house in the middle, the one with the sailboat, is not in a state of disrepair as are the other two. In fact, it's in great shape. But I really liked the look of the house and I thought it would make a good subject.)

I forgot how much fun I had creating these paintings! There is something meditative in the illustration layer of the pieces. All of the paintings have quotes on the roofline that came from stories people shared with me or conversations I had with my neighbors. Maybe I should send the photos to the city planners and tell them to get on the stick! :~)

Meanwhile, if you'd like to learn how to create one of these collaged paintings yourself, come visit me in Chicago later this month at Create Retreat. Seriously. Come on! I'll save a seat for you!

"fine. I'll go. But the purple cowbell is mine!"

"let me tell you about the time we were running from the cops. the monkey in the backseat bit the cop"

"well, if you don't want it you'll have to carry it back up the stairs"
I'll miss the little Old Towne Cottage and the neighbors who changed my life for the better. If I could bundle them all up and move them out to the lake to enjoy the country I would! At least I know I can always go back for a visit and a glass of wine. Hey boys...get out that bottle opener!

color me smiling
staci

No comments:

Post a Comment