Monday, August 19, 2013

day 5 ~ an explanation

At dinner the other evening a friend of mine asked what I mean by "the red road" so I guess I'd better explain. In Lakota culture it is a metaphor for living a spiritual and true life. They believe that there are many roads we travel in life and on those roads we are faced with decisions, good and bad. You can read more about it here: The Red Road

Journey into Native American Heritage has a poem about the red road. There end sums up what I especially love.

"If you walk the Red Road,
you know that every sorrow
leads to a better understanding,
every horror cannot be explained,
but can offer growth.
To Walk the Red Road
is to look for beauty in all things.
To Walk the Red Road
is to know you will one day
cross to the Spirit World,
and you will not be afraid."

Obviously I am not Native American. I'm of eastern european decent, thru and thru--Hungarian, Czech, etc. And maybe that's why the connection to the earth of the Native American culture resonates with me. There are strong similarities in these ancient cultures in terms of spirituality.

What does all of this mean to me? It's my life's blood coursing thru my veins. It's the choices we all make in our daily life. It's life--the red road. And I'm dancing along, trying to be the best person I can be. Trying to recognize the lessons presented to me and trying harder to learn from them. (Although, let's be honest. There are times when I make awful decisions. Damn if that doesn't cause me to trip over some ditch in my path! Quite a few twisted ankles and stubbed toes behind me to be sure!)

So Happy Monday! I've got to go put on my dancing/walking shoes. Busy week ahead. How are those journal entries coming? What sweet memories have you unearthed? Let us know what you've uncovered!

Next time I'll tell you a story about my grandfather and the quacking flowers:~)

Staci




No comments:

Post a Comment