Sunday, September 8, 2013

Chicago Birches, 2013


Can't help but wonder about my attraction to "say yes to the dress" playing in the background while I'm working. I guess it's the fantasy of getting to play princess for the day. Or maybe I just love ALL pretty dresses and it wouldn't matter if people were putting on wedding dresses or just beautiful clothes in general. I mean, who doesn't love "what not to wear" and secretly wish that Clinton and Stacey would show up at their office with a credit card for $5000 and fabulous style advice? Alas, it's their final season and all of the episodes are in the can waiting to air and I'm stuck with the clothes I own. Hrumph.

Meanwhile, I'm finally getting to the last student works from Chicago. I'm busy working on new class samples and proposals so that I can branch out and I keep putting the blog on the back burner. But I promised my students I'd share their work and more than anything I try to be a person of my word. And besides, their work is really good and you all need to see how other people interpret my methods so that you, too, will want to try them and make them your own. Forget whether or not you ever take a class from me. I'm just hoping that you will be inspired by all of the different variations on a theme and feel the confidence to try something new at home.
the artist who did this pair of paintings took a more natural approach to color. she had a great sense of humor and her description of her own work had me cracking up!

Love the leaves on this one!

another pair, this time top and bottom. very pretty

peace!

ok. this student taught me something new. if i ever teach this class again we are definitely adding the stencil element.


pretty colors on this beauty

a different spin on tree colors. soft and sweet.

i like the proportions on the tree limbs here and the colors

Ok. So here is the gal working on the stencil background. The participants at the retreat got these cool circle stencils in the SWAG bags. I turned around and was like "holy crap! that's the coolest thing I've ever seen! why didn't I think of that?" And the grasshopper teaches the master.

Add caption

Add caption
That's it from me. Tomorrow I'll write about some of the new things happening along the red road. I've really got to collect my thoughts and figure out where I'm going. Life has gotten in the way and it's effecting my creative decision making. Time to step back and evaluate. 
Hugs.
staci

No comments:

Post a Comment