Thursday, September 5, 2013

Still more Chicago 2013

I still amaze at the quality of the work I get from people when I teach the house portraits class. Chicago was no exception. I just love the surreal quality of the paintings. Everybody balks when I tell them they have to outline everything, EVERYTHING, in black pen, but as soon as they start to see the results the dissension stops and the smiles take over. The consistent black line moving across the entire surface and picking out details not readily apparent unifies the entire painting and gives it that illustrated quality, blurring the line between photograph and painting, made up and reality. It's like magic.

Here are a few stand outs from August's class. Enjoy.

love the chicken and the clock. this artist's trees are among the best I've seen. 

this gal painted about 80% of these flowers by hand. no kidding! awesomeness!!

all of these flowers except the purple on the far right and the orange on the far left are painted. freaking fabulous!

nice use of perspective here

a very whimsical interpretation of her townhouse. She repeated several prints of it to add depth and interest. 

the texture in the yard on this was very nice. and pretty trees and flowers

we had a small group this day but they kept me on my toes and did such a great job.
Time to go clean some more for the weekend. I'm looking forward to showing off all of the work we've done on the house over the last 6 months, but I'll be happy to return to my normal level of 'disarray'. cleaning for company!

Staci

No comments:

Post a Comment