Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 37: dancing bears and creative epiphanies


Since the point of this whole project was to follow the winding path of my ideas for a year, I thought I'd post a quick update what's been going on around here the last couple of days. I'm in a rush to get to the studio because I just got off of the phone with my BFF and we had one of our common conversations that lead to creative overload. Do you have one of those? Someone who somehow brings out all of the fabulous crazy that swirls around inside of your brain? My mind is actually spinning right now. Love her!

Ok. So a couple of days ago another artist stopped by to pick up the tent she's borrowing for a weekend art festival. I'm not exhibiting at the event because I'm going to be painting live for 3 days with my best art buds in Augusta. ArtZilla lives! more on that later. 

Anyway, we got to talking and I was telling her about the sculpture projects I'm working and she came up with the idea to incorporate a story into the beginning of the book, to make it accessable to people and to give the characters life and meaning. And I got to thinking about the story of my grandfather and the quacking flowers. (see original post here)

And since I was already working on bears for the sculptures, (and I'm sure this idea actually came from my BFF:~), the dancing bear was Zane, my grandfather. Below is a pick of Zane and the little duck-girl. Aren't they sweet? I'm working on painting them now and decorating, which is why I've got to get my ass off of this computer and get back to the studio. 

But wait! It gets better!

So this morning while sitting out on the back deck and watching the crane on the lake (my total zen start to my day!) I was having my usual cup of tea with the BFF (who by the way lives in Virginia and we only see each other about once a year but talk maybe 4x a week...the best sister friend a girl could ask for) (truly I am blessed) and it hits me...

photograph these characters and sculpture pieces I'm making and turn them into surreal collage a la "fantasy house portraits" and create artworks that narrate a story. Much like I'm doing anyway, but this translates the 3d art back to 2d mixed media paintings. 

And damn!! This is what goes on around here most of the time and this is what I mean when I talk about the fluidity of an idea. When I set out to do all of this a little more than a month ago I thought I was going to be pursuing the house idea. And here I am in some new territory filled with images of my ancestors coming to life before my eyes and a coffee induced high like I haven't had in quite some time. I've got to go and get to work before it cripples me:~)

Love to all. Please share with me what's going on in the studio. Post comments. I think I've got that bug worked out here on google. If you have trouble, let me know. I's gots to gets to work!!

~staci




No comments:

Post a Comment